Thursday, March 11, 2010

Backpacker's Paradise


I just got back from a trip to Bulungula, also known as backpacker’s paradise, and it was just that. From the moment we arrived at the place I was in awe. Simple, hippie style with bright colors everywhere. A fire-pit sat outside with benches surrounding it as the waves crashed in the background. Yes, this is the perfect place to come and get a break from all the schoolwork we’ve been doing.

On Tuesday we embarked on the “Women in Power” tour where we learned to collect water from the spring and carry it on our heads as well as collect firewood from the nearby forest. I must say, even though I had a small bucket, it was still just too much for me to handle. I don’t’ know how these women do it everyday!

Wednesday morning we woke up at 4:45 a.m. to participate in the “Pancakes at Sunrise” activity. We walked down on the beach and climbed one of the biggest dunes I have ever seen. As we sat there watching the sun peak through the clouds, a woman was preparing our pancakes over a barrel of fire. It was an amazing time and the pancakes (really like a crepe) were absolutely delicious! That afternoon my two friends and I walked along the beach until we got to a point of un-passable rocks. We climbed up on what we called pride rock and were in constant awe as we looked at what we had in front of our eyes. It was truly breathtaking and even referred to as the most beautiful place on earth. The highlight of sitting there, as if it could get any better, was the sighting of a pack of dolphins. There were at least five of them and swimming right in the waves as they were on the brink of breaking. It was awesome to watch, and if the shore weren’t so rocky I would have gone right in there after them. My childhood dreams of being a dolphin trainer came back to me that day.

So as my backpacker paradise mini-vacation has now come to a close, we are back at the Haven where we have one more day of official class. Our final teacher leaves on Saturday morning and after that we only have a week and a half left at the Haven, which will be full of research proposal work. After that we have five days of traveling back to Cape Town and then I can’t believe it, but I will be home.

Until next time everyone,
Be safe, happy, and have fun : )

No comments:

Post a Comment