Friday, January 22, 2010

"A picture is worth a thousand words....

Today as we began our journey to the Eastern Cape, we had the opportunity to visit and drive through some communities, which could also be known as “slums.” After the group visited a local youth center we were walking back on the street and I was just observing the atmosphere as I had my camera around my neck. Three little boys walking down the street noticed and instantly run up to me full of excitement because I had a camera.

After I took a picture of them they wanted to use the camera. Each boy was so eager to get his hands on that camera and were even more ecstatic when they could see the result of the image they captured. I couldn’t get there hands off of it.

The short encounter was one of the best experiences I have had so far. Something so simple as to taking a picture, and yet with the excitement that filled the air, I could have sat there for hours with those boys showing them how to and letting them take pictures. Those simple moments are the ones that I am truly thankful for and is something I will never forget.

5 comments:

  1. You are lucky they didn't steal your camera and stab you in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised Stephen gave the children the benefit of the doubt and didn't accuse them of raping you too.
    Don't listen to him Lexi. It's a wonderful image, and I can't wait to see the pictures they took with your camera. You're very lucky, and I'm super jealous of the wonderful time you're having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please post a picture of your encounter with the kids and the camera. I would love to see it. Sweetsteve is only being silly - we all know him. He is so proud of what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Lexi. I've heard stories of kids in other countries getting really excited by cameras. I'm glad you met them; I'm sure the pictures are awesome :)
    -Eva

    ReplyDelete